Identification of Good Governance and Rule of Law Programme in Jordan
The overall objective of the assignment was to compile and analyse the necessary information for the Delegation of the European Union to Jordan and the Government of Jordan to assess the relevance and scope of a programme in the field of Good Governance and the Rule of Law which included: support to Parliament, the Independent Electoral Commission, the Ministry of Political and Parliamentary Affairs, the Judiciary, the Ministry of Interior, Civil Society, and any other relevant actors.
The specific objectives of the assignment included:
- A description of relevant existing and planned strategies, policies and legislations in the field of Good Governance and the Rule of Law with an analysis of their significance and credibility.
- The mapping of relevant existing and planned programmes and projects in the field of Good Governance and the Rule of Law implemented by governmental agencies, civil society and international donors with an analysis of their coherence against the above legal, policy and strategic framework.
An identification of the relevance and scope fora potential new EU-funded programme in the field of Good Governance and Rule of Law; providing clear recommendations on the choice of aid modality and possible implementers; highlighting areas requiring further analysis; preparing an Action Document for a programme; and developing Terms of Reference for a Formulation Study.
The mission was implemented by three experts and consisted of:
- Ensure full ownership of the assignment (process and outputs) by relevant governmental stakeholders;
- Review relevant documents made available by the Royal Court, the Government of Jordan, Jordanian public and non-government organisations, active donors and international organisations;
- Interview relevant stakeholders in the Royal Court, the Government of Jordan, Jordanian public and non-government organisations, past and current donors and international organisations;
- Assess availability and quality of information and data;
- Select and adapt tools for undertaking the institutional and capacity assessment;
- Organise and lead meetings and workshops with key stakeholders